What do I love as much as pasta? Garlic. What do I love more than pasta with a whole lot of garlic? Nothing comes to mind. So this weekend, while I was reading through recipes trying to figure out what to do with my butternut squash besides soup I ran across this recipe for penne with garlicky butternut squash. I saw the recipe I knew immediately I had to try it. Not only was it super delicious but it was simple and I already had all of the ingredients in my pantry.
Penne with Garlicky Butternut Squash:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) butternut squash, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 - 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered sage
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound of penne (I prefer whole wheat)
- Nutritional yeast
- *2-3 tablespoons of vegan margarine
- *2-3 teaspoons of garlic powder, divided
Some tips about this recipe:
- I went a little easy on the garlic because my boyfriend doesn't love garlic as much as I do. But even he said it needed more! So the 4 cloves is just to start, I probably added about 6 and plan to add more next time. But I really, really love garlic.
- Don't worry about adding "too much" broth or pasta water because it will make a good sauce.
- This makes a whole lot of pasta, but make the whole recipe. It's great leftover.
- The * indicates where I updated the recipe.