Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I love breakfast. And within the last year or so I've started eating oatmeal. A lot. Like almost every day. For better or for worse, a few months ago I discovered that a spoonful of Nutella is an excellent way to make oatmeal exciting. Now even though I still recommend this as an occasional treat, it's not the most healthy way to eat oatmeal. So when I stumbled across this recipe from Oh She Glows I knew I had to make it. I've made this recipe about four times, almost once a week since I discovered it. I've made adjustments based on a) my personal preferences and b) what I have one hand in my pantry. I think I've got it pretty perfect now.

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole, adapted from Oh She Glows

For the Oatmeal:
  • 1/2 cup oats (instant is fine)
  • 2 cups almond/soy milk
  • 1 small sweet potato, peeled, diced
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 rounded teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar
For the Topping:
  • 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
  • 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance), cold
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the sweet potato. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Give the pot a quick rinse then add the milk and oats. Whisk well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 1-2 minutes (if using instant) or 5-7 minutes (if using regular), stirring frequently. With a potato masher or pastry cutter, mash in the sweet potato and banana. Then stir in the cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and agave. Cook on low for another minute or two. Make the topping by cutting the butter, flour, and sugar with a fork or pastry cutter. When the margarine is pea sized, stir in the pistachios. Transfer the oatmeal to a greased casserole dish or cake pan (I use an 8x11 pan). Sprinkle the topping on the oatmeal. Bake the oatmeal uncovered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes set the oven to broil. Broil on low for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the topping burn. Serve warm out the the oven. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment