- 4 medium sized zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 pound of mushrooms, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
- 1 1/2 cups minced pistachios
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Black pepper and cayenne (or hot sauce), to taste
- A few pinches of freshly minced and dried herbs (parsley, basil, dill, thyme, etc.)
- 1 cup grated cheese, swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, etc.
- Dash of salt
- The recipes makes a lot of filling, I had leftovers both times I made it. However, the filling is delicious on it's own.
- I used pistachios because it's the only nut I like, but feel free to use almonds, pecans, or the nut of your choice.
- This dish seems to be a "chop and drop" dish. Add whatever vegetables you have on hand. I've added black beans and diced tomatoes and they were both delicious additions.
- If you leave off the cheese, this is a wonderful vegan dish.
- If you are not vegan, tossing extra cheese in the filling is super tasty.