I'm not going to lie. After making this for dinner last night, I am extremely proud of myself. This is better than takeout. And the best part? All the ingredients are things you should have in your fridge/pantry. The only thing I needed to pick up from the grocery store was the tofu. And after making this, tofu will now always be in my fridge so I can make this meal.
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated (I used ground, about a tablespoon)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 package frozen green beans
Slice the tofu into thin squares. Coat a saute pan with oil and heat over medium/medium high. Brown the tofu on both sides, about five minutes. Drain on paper towels. Toss the tofu in the sauce. Saute the onions and vegetables until slightly charred. Top the vegetables with the extra sauce.
Serve with brown rice.
An extra tip:
- I would recommend doubling the recipe for the sauce so you have plenty for both the tofu and the vegetables.