Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bluebbery Waffles with Lemon Glaze

Every Thursday I have a standing brunch date with my friend Sammi from Vegan Pandamonium. This started out as a going out to lunch date. But one week, when I was trying to save some money, I asked if she would like to come over and I would make brunch instead. And since we're both still trying to save money, and we love cooking for each other, brunch has stuck.

This week we both went all out trying new recipes. I really enjoy waffles but have never really found a recipe that turns out the way I want it to, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Well today I finally found a recipe that did just that. It came from VeganYumYum with just a few small adjustments on my part. This will now be my go-to waffle recipe. You can definitely change it up with the fruit of your choice.

Blueberry Waffles:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour (I prefer unbleached)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2/3 cup vegan sour cream
  • 1 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 5 tbsp water
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1-2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
Preheat waffle iron. In one bowl combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine wet ingredients. Then add dry to wet in 2-3 batches. Gently fold in blueberries. Use about 1/2 cup batter per waffle. My waffle iron cooks the waffles in about 7 minutes. Place finished waffles on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.

Lemon glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • Zest of half a lemon
  • 3 tablespoons of almond milk
Sift powdered sugar. Add all other ingredients. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over waffles.

***A good tip from VeganYumYum. If you use frozen blueberries, reserve two tablespoons of the dry ingredient mixture. Toss the frozen blueberries with the dry ingredients, then fold into the batter at the last minute. This keeps the batter from turning a greyish purple color.
***I subbed vegan sour cream for soy yogurt in the original recipe.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not into blueberries and even I went back for seconds. These were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although most people use maple syrup in just one way, over pancakes or waffles, there are many, many ways to use it; as a sauce over ice cream or puddings, a natural glaze poured over ham, baked in the hollow of a winter squash, in many other dishes, and even in many elaborate "gourmet" recipes.

    Waffle Glaze

    ReplyDelete