Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vegetable Broth (from the new kitchen)

Wow, it's been a long break. Too long. But never fear, I am finally done moving, and fresh from a Publix trip, my pantry and fridge are now fully stocked for some new, fabulous recipes. First up, something savory. I've been wanting to make vegetable broth from scratch for a while now. I googled some recipes the other day and pretty much realized, it's something you just have to make up. Here's what I did, based on the ingredients I had in my produce drawer.

Vegetable Broth:
  • 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 1/2 large onion, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 2 stalks celery, plus extra celery leaves, cut into chunks
  • 1 potato, cut into chunks
  • Small handful of parsley
  • 5 small tomatoes, cut into chunks
  • 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 8 cups water
Cut all your veggies into chunks. Feel free to not peel them, leave the paper on the garlic/onions, etc. Throw all of your veggies and herbs into a stock pot. Cover with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.


Reduce to a simmer, add soy sauce and pepper. Simmer for one hour. Taste and add more salt if desired. Strain your broth, put into some Tupperware, and refrigerate/freeze until you need some vegetable broth. This recipe made about 6 cups.

Don't throw those veggies away; I snacked on them right from the pot once I strained the liquid. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment