I received the inspiration for these cookies while munching on some Newman's Own Ginger O's. They're kind of like oreos, except ginger and organic. Pretty amazing. So I thought I'd go ahead and make a homemade, vegan version (The Newman's Own Ginger O's are vegan). While searching on the internet for ginger cookie recipes I found a great candidate for veganization, a Paula Deen recipe. So, here we go.
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- Equivalent 1 egg Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk (Soy or rice would also be fine)
When the cookies are cooled, create sandwiches by spreading the frosting in the middle. Devour them. Yum.
A few tips:
- For me, the dough was super sticky, so I rolled the dough into balls with a spoon and then rolled them in sugar.
- If you don't have vegan margarine, go ahead and use vegetable shortening, that's what the original recipe called for.
- Make sure to let the cookies cool before frosting, or it'll be extremely messy.