So, a few weeks ago my good friend/roommate Sammi introduced me to VeganYumYum. That website is some serious food porn. Any way, I was hungry and needed to go to the grocery store when I saw a recipe for pan fried tofu with kale and stir-fried noodles. The pictures looked amazing and I was really hungry so I headed out to Publix to pick up a few things I needed. Now, I couldn't find kale or the wide rice noodles that the original recipe called for, so I improvised. Here is my slightly different version. And yes, it's vegan!
Pan Fried Tofu with Spinach and Noodles
- 1 package extra/super firm tofu
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1/2 box of whole wheat spaghetti (or whatever kind of noodle you have on hand)
- Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (I used ground, because that's what I had)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Black pepper, to taste
A few tips about this recipe:
- The pan will spit oil at you when you add the tofu, so just be careful. I'm a really big baby when it comes to hot things, so I wore an oven mitt. But trust me, if I survived it, you most certainly will.
- Soy sauce is like using salt. When you put soy sauce on the noodles at the end, a little goes along way, especially since the tofu was already marinaded in it.
- It's ok to use the leftover marinade. The reason you were always told to toss extra marinade is because of cross contamination with raw meat. You won't get e coli or salmonella from tofu, so don't let that tasty marinade go to waste.