Pastry Cream (adapted from Ina Garten):
- 2 teaspoons of the vegg + 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups scalded almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 tablespoon vegan coffee creamer (or more almond milk)
Keep the mixer on low then add the scalded milk. Pour all of the mixture back into a saucepan and cook on low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon constantly, until it thickens. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes. When it appears to be almost boiling switch to a whisk and whisk vigorously for two minutes. When the mixture is very thick, like a pudding, add the vanilla, butter, and creamer. Pour the pastry cream into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and cool in the fridge. Serve cold.
Apple Cake (original recipe here):
- Earth Balance buttery spread + flour for dusting the pan
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 Ener-G egg (1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I used granny smith)
- Powdered sugar for dusting as a garnish
Combine the flax and Ener-G eggs with sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Beat for about 5 minutes, until thick. Gradually add the flour, milk, and butter. Scrape down the sides after adding each ingredient. Increase speed to medium high and beat for 3 minutes. Add the baking powder and vanilla, beating for an additional 2 minutes.
Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Arrange the apple slices vertically, core side down. Begin laying the apple slices at the outside of the pan, working to the center.
Bake for about 50 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes, then remove the sides of the pan. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with pastry cream and fresh fruit.