Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Baked Strawberry Oatmeal

I think I've mentioned previously that I participate in a local, organic produce buying club. It's one of my favorite things. About every other week, for $25, I purchase a 10-15 pound share of local, organic produce. I've tried so many different vegetables because of the club. The club is also partially responsible for my love affair with beets. Well, between the end of the semester, going out of town, and the holidays I haven't bought a share in a few weeks. But yesterday, I was able to pick up my first share in over a month, and oh my goodness is it amazing. Baby red chard, sweet orange peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapefruits, red kale, I could go on, but I'll end the list with strawberries.

Winter time in Florida means strawberry season. I knew I wanted to make something for breakfast. Something warm and comforting, because it's been pretty cold for my thin Florida blood the past few days. So I did some searching on the internet for baked oatmeal recipes. There were quite a few, but I ended up combining several to come up with my own. And it was fantastic.

Baked Strawberry Oatmeal:
  • 1 1/2 c quick cooking oats (you can use rolled oats, but you'll need to increase the amount of milk in the recipe)
  • 1/4 c brown sugar (or maple syrup or agave)
  • 1/2 c soy/rice/almond milk, whatever you've got
  • 1/4 c vegan margarine, melted
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 fresh, sliced strawberries

Preheat your oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Spread into a greased baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Serve immediately, and top with a few tablespoons of warm soy milk plus extra strawberries. Feast!

You could also assemble this ahead of time and bake the morning of. I would say it serves 4, except I ate two servings, so maybe it only serves two. Who knows. It's up to you if you want to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment