Lately I've been on an eating healthy and losing weight quest, not that you'd be able to tell from those cookies...Anyway, I also spend a lot of time looking at other blogs for inspiration now that I no longer have cable, and most importantly, Food Network. I stumbled across a really great blog, No Meat Athlete. The No Meat Athlete has some really great recipes for beans and rice; a cheap, easy, complete protein meal. There are several variations on a theme but the one that spoke to me was the Hawaiian Beans and Rice. I love pineapple in my savory food and I also have a new found love for cabbage. So with a few tweaks, here's my version.
Hawaiian Beans and Rice:
- 1 cup chickpeas, dried or 1 can
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 small can pineapple tidbits
- 1 small can sliced pineapple (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
*Optional Step* In a small saute pan, lay out pineapple rings. Caramelize both sides, about 2-5 minutes per side. On a plate, place rice, then beans, then pineapple rings.